TURF GROW LIGHTS.
Grow lights in Australia
Gilba Solutions are the experts in turf grow lights in Australia and are the agents for SeeGrow Developments. SeeGrow are widely accepted as being the world leader in turf lightning solutions and turf fans. SeeGrow units are designed specifically for sports turf and golf course use and Comm Bank Stadium is the first Australian venue to use turf specific LED grow lights.
US research, shows that ryegrass requires a Daily Light Integral (DLI) of around 23 to maintain optimum turf quality. Even though ryegrass survives at DLI’s as low as 10, in a high use situation recovery is severely compromised at DLI’s that are this low.
In 2007, the Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA) was signed to improve energy efficiency across the USA, and undoubtedly a similar state of affairs will occur in Australia. States across the USA are beginning to include HPS Grow Lights in their efficiency targets and are looking to phase them out.
The SeeGrow Turf lighting solutions:
- Use up to 80% less power vs HPS light rigs. In 2022 work by Etienne Abélard and Christophe Galbrun they state that despite their initial greater cost, LED grow lights are the best choice of light source;
- LED lights are very energy efficient;
- LED turf grow lights last up to 50,000 hours. In contrast, HPS bulbs last only 16,000 hours;
- Over a 24 hour period you get increases of up to 10mm in shoot and root growth;
- Are very manouvarable and so storage is not a problem;
- Have an inbuilt irrigation system and heater;
- By using purpose built LED grow lights the turf gets what it actually needs rather than what the light emits;
- Each individual LED diode can emits light of a very specific color spectrum. This means that you can adjust and customise LED grow lights in a way that’s impossible to achieve with other grow lights;
- As they do not give out massive amounts of heat, LED grow lights can be used without any burning of the underlying turf;
- LED lights give a significant germination and growth response if you are seeding with cool or warm season grass.
SeeGrow supplies LED lighting systems to the following venues:
- Comm Bank Stadium (Parramatta).
- Chelsea FC.
- Aviva Stadium.
- Wembley Arena.
- Millennium Stadium.
- Manchester City.
- AS Saint Etienne.
- Werder Bremen.
- Arsenal FC.
- Swansea City.
- Juventus and
- Singapore Stadium
For more information relating to LED grow light selection and the key differences between the available technologies check out our blog on using light to improve turf health using grow lights.
The LED 14 grow light system has a CO2 canopy, heater and inbuilt irrigation system. This gives up to 10mm shoot and root growth in 24 hours.