Twin Creeks G.C. Course Manager, Darren Turner called Gilba Solutions in 2021 with a water quality issue on a number of his dams. There was an outbreak of algae and he was concerned it might be an issue. After a site visit there was a strong possibility that it was blue-green algae and testing confirmed this.
What causes blue-green algae?
Several factors favour the growth of blue-green algae:
- Excessive amounts of phosphorus and nitrogen;
- Increasing water temperature and light; the optimum temperature for many algal species is around 35°C.
- Still or slow-flowing water;
- Ample sunlight.
If these conditions occur, cyanobacteria increases and forms visible ‘blooms’ which lead to poor water quality and the possible toxicity.
In still conditions, surface water may form a separate warm top layer where blue-green algae is able to access sunlight and nutrients. If these factors are all present for several days, cyanobacteria increase and form large ‘blooms’.
Nutrients are either present in sediments or are washed into water bodies. In particular, phosphorus is in large amounts in sediments and releases by normal bacterial activity.
On a golf course the major source of external nitrogen and phosphorus is fertiliser and so using slow-release fertilisers can help counter this. Even household products, sewage effluent and stormwater runoff can also be an issue.
Twin Creeks Golf and Country Club is in the beautiful surrounds of Nepean Valley and Australian Golf Digest ranked it number 93 in 2021. It hosted the NSW Open from 2017-2019.
The sensitivity of the area means that treatment has to have minimal impact. After looking at a number of options a decison was made to treat the dams with Agri-Tec® a formulation of copper pentahydrate. The reasons for this were:
- Applying it easy; you simply pour Agritec® into a dam and it self disperses;
- It has low rates of use;
- It is not toxic to fish and
- You can safely use treated water for irrigation.
The result of using Agritec®
Within 3 days you could see the algae was being effected and complete control was in a week.
Agri-Tec® is a unique copper based aquatic algaecide and is for the control of a number of algae species including Chara and Phormidium species. You can use Agritec® in farm dams and ponds, irrigation canals, lakes, and potable water supplies.
The key features of Agri-Tec® are:
- You can apply Agritec® directly to water bodies;
- It is easy to measure out and use;
- Agritec® has very low application rates;
- It is effective where the algae growth is concentrated;
- Works in high pH conditions;
- You can immediately use treated water for irrigation;
- It is non-toxic to fish;
- Here are the Agritec Label and Agritec MSDS.